Mayo Clinic Laboratory: Transforming into an Analytics-Driven Culture
Leaders across hospitals and health systems are being tasked with implementing and using analytics to drive organizational initiatives. As IT organizations explore options to meet these demands, many questions are coming up. Do they have the staff and expertise? Why aren’t Excel, Tableau, Crystal Reports or another generic Business Intelligence tool already solving the problem? How do they support the unique clinical and business analytics requirements across different areas of the hospital?
The Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology (DLMP) and Mayo Medical Laboratories recently explored these questions. While they have an extraordinary IT team and set of capabilities, a number of considerations led to them to partner with Viewics to serve as their analytics platform.
Some of those key considerations were:
- Expertise: Extracting, cleansing and integrating data from a variety of different data sources to be in a common format for meaningful analytics.
- Focus: Understanding and focusing on laboratory data and analytical data models designed to answer the specific questions the laboratory wanted to have answered, both now and in the future.
- Security: Deploying a fully-managed and HIPAA certified platform that provides built-in user access controls and audit trails to restrict who sees what (and when) instead of emailing PDF or excel reports.
Listen as Senior Programmer and Analyst at the Mayo Clinic’s Laboratory, Daniel L. Boettcher M.B.A., discusses how hospitals and health systems can transform into an analytics driven organization and the key considerations for “getting it right”.
- How large and reputable organizations like Mayo Clinic’s Laboratory approach the development of a laboratory focused analytics platform and what factors they considered when making the decision to build in-house and/or engage vendors
- The security implications of distributing analytics via excel and other methods
- Advice on the data preparation, integration & cleansing process and how critical that is for analytics
Daniel L. Boettcher, M.B.A.
Daniel L. Boettcher is the Senior Programmer and Analyst at the Mayo Clinic Laboratory in Rochester, Minnesota where he plays a key role in transforming the Mayo Clinic into an analytics driven organization.